vstrom2alaska

Thirty day trip from Raleigh, NC to Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

Name:
Location: Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States

Friday, July 28, 2006

July 28 Friday



Left the EconoLodge at 7 before the major heat. Headed for the Badlands. There were already fire trucks there! Probably just a precaution because I didn't see any fires.

The morning light in the Badlands is fantastic!!!! Took a lot of pictures and even found a "peace rock." Thought it was particularly appropriate given the world situation today. The Badlands was my last tourist thing.

Around 11 I put on the Aerostich and headed home. It was hot ... very hot--did I say it was hot? It was hot--109!!! Stopped because I had run out of water, not gas. Filled up with gas and water--would have had lunch except for the long lines that were created by the tour bus that stopped just ahead of me. Had a biker lunch of cheese crackers, beef jerky, and peanuts. Did I mention that it was hot?

Next gas stop was at the Iowa border. 32 0z Gartorade and chicken strips fixed me up. Bought a bag of ice and filled all my pockets--did I mention that it was hot? It was definitely hot.

I was determined to do 600 miles. When I got to DesMoines I found a Hampton Inn!!! Now I'm at the Granite City Food and Brewpub with wi-fi, Chicken Parm and an IPA--life is good!

Heard from Jeff--he's alive and well at St. Hellens. Yet to hear from Joe--hope he's ok.

Tomorrow--Louisville

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home